Study Assistance

Study assistants help students with chronic illnesses and/or disabilities successfully navigate their studies.

What is a study assistant?

Students with chronic illnesses and/or disabilities can apply to the studierendenWERK BERLIN for a so-called inclusion benefit, which also includes study assistants. Study assistants work as independent freelancers and receive a fee of 13 € per hour. This is a gross fee from which all social security contributions must be paid. The payment is made by the studierendenWERK Berlin to the study assistants, who then forward the money to the study assistants.
to the study assistants.

The job is varied and is usually performed by fellow students, upper-level students, or graduate students.Tasks are individualized based on impairment-related needs and may include:

Note-taking assistance

  • Preparation of transcripts
  • Preparation of transcripts
  • Making copies

Structuring assistance

  • Assistance with timetable preparation
  • Structuring of study tasks/workload
  • Help with planning the further course of studies
  • Support with organizational matters (e.g. registration for exams)

Mobility assistance, accessibility

  • Accompaniment to libraries
  • Guidance within the university
  • Handouts (small service, assistance)
  • Accessible preparation of documents

Correction assistance

  • for homework and theses (no correction of content/subject matter)

Contact person

  • Support in communication with lecturers, university staff, fellow students
  • Accompanying meetings in the context of studies

Step 1: Submitting documents

The studierendenWERK BERLIN requires a current certificate of enrollment or your university degree certificate from your completed university studies and a copy of your photo ID.
and a copy of your photo ID. If you already have someone you would like to assist, you can start your work as soon as the assisting person has completed their studies.
as soon as the person you are assisting has received the letter of approval.

If you don't have anyone to assist, we will be happy to support you and try to put you in touch with students who can assist you. Send us an email at:

Step 2: Registration with the tax office

Study assistants are self-employed honorary employees. The self-employment has to be registered with the tax office online via the "Questionnaire for Tax Registration". This way you will receive your tax number in order to be able to issue invoices. This requires the creation of a user account at ELSTER.

As a self-employed person you are obliged to write invoices. A sample for a complete annual invoice is available from the Barrier-free Studying advice service. You are also required to file an annual tax return, the deadline is July 31 of the following year.



As a rule, there is no obligation to pay pension insurance in the case of self-employment on a marginal scale, i.e. with income from work of up to 520 € per month or also in the case of a combination of marginal employment (mini-job) and a marginal self-employed fee-based activity (up to 520 €).

  • pension insurance may be compulsory for earnings from 520,01 € (also depending on the content and characteristics of the activity)
  • an examination of the insurance obligation is possible at the German pension insurance

Health insurance and nursing care insurance

  • The health insurance company checks whether someone is self-employed on a full-time or part-time basis, depending on the temporal and economic importance of the self-employed activity. Please note that there is an obligation to inform the health insurance company about the start of a self-employed activity!
  • Part-time self-employed is a person who usually works less than 20 hours per week, including preparation and follow-up. Student health insurance is still possible in this case. The health insurance company may check the amount of income. In the case of family insurance, a monthly profit from self-employment up to 470 € is possible. For further information, please ask your health insurance company.


If BAföG (Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz) is drawn, the profit exceeding an amount of € 420.92 per month is taken into account in the case of fee income. The income in the grant period is distributed evenly over the months of the grant period.