German courses for refugees in Berlin

Here you can find German courses for refugees from Ukraine

To be able to study for the most degrees in Berlin, you need German language skills. Most universities require a language level of B2 to C1. To make it easier for you to find suitable courses, we have compiled a selection here. The list will be expanded continuously.


The universities in Berlin offer various language courses. The decisive factor for your selection is whether you are already studying or are interested in studying. As a rule, these courses are booked up very quickly. For the lower language levels (A1-B1), integration courses are therefore also recommended (see section "Free German courses as part of integration courses").


Offers for prospectiuve students


The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) supports the program "Integration of Refugees into Studies (Integra)". As part of this program, language courses are offered at some universities to prepare refugees interested in studying for a degree.

Universities and colleges participating in the Integra program:

Alice-Salomon-Hochschule (ASH)


Berliner Hochschule für Technik (BHT) - currently no language courses offered

Freie Universität Berlin (FU)

Hochschule für Technik und Wissenschaft (HTW): German courses as a part of Integra program and German intensive course for refugees

Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht (HWR)

Humboldt Universität zu Berlin (HU)

Kunsthochschule Weißensee

Technische Universität Berlin (TU) - currently no language courses offered

Universität der Künste (UdK)

Weißensee Kunsthochshcule Berlin - currently no language courses offered


Offers for enrolled students


Some universities offer language courses for international students, including refugees. The prerequisite for participation is enrollment as a student.

FU BerlinAn online registration form for German language courses in winter semester 2023/24 and for the placement test will be made available to new students by mid-September 2023. More information will follow in September.

HU Berlin - no more registration possible at the moment

TU Berlin - currently no free places


Attention: the courses are often fully booked within a few hours, so pay attention to the registration deadlines!

Many German courses are offered as part of so-called integration courses. The courses are usually free of charge because the Jobcenter takes over the financing. An integration course consists of language courses at levels A1 to B1 and an orientation course on life in Germany. It is intended to help you quickly find your way around in Germany.


As a rule, the general integration course in Berlin consists of:

6 modules

  • with 100 teaching hours (UE) each for language teaching (levels A1, A2 and B1)
  •  Completion by passing the German Test for Immigrants (DTZ)

1 module of 100 units for the orientation course

  • Basic knowledge of the legal system, history and culture of Germany
  • Completion by passing the test "Living in Germany" (LID)


If you receive money from the Jobcenter and have received an obligation to attend an integration course, you do not have to pay anything for the language course.

If you are not entitled to a cost exemption, part of the costs can be covered by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees.

Enrolment requirements:

Admission to participate in an integration course can always be granted upon presentation of the residence title issued in accordance with § 24 AufenthG or a corresponding fictitious certificate.

Course participation requires prior counselling and usually also a placement test.


You can apply for this at your job centre. If you do not receive Jobcenter benefits, you can apply for participation in an integration course at a regional office of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF). You can find the regional office responsible for you under BAMF-NAvI.

You can find more information about the application on the website and in the Information sheet from BAMF. Also, the websites of VHS-Berlin and Berlin-hilft can be very helpful.   






Sprachenatelier Berlin


You can find more providers here




Free participation


At present, it is possible to join ongoing courses within the framework of the Welcome Programme of the Freie Universität if free places are available.

Requirement: Level B2.1, B2.2

Application via this e-mail address:



German language course for refugees: German from level B2 to C1

Course duration: 02.10.2023-22.12.2023.

Application: 01.08.2023 - 01.09.2023.

More about the course under this Link

Application via:



There are currently no free places, but you can put your name on a waiting list:

Interested students from level A2 can write an email to

and send your documents (proof of A1 and a copy of your residence permit).

It is also possible to put your name on the waiting list for B2 and C1 (please send your documents here). The courses start on 14.08.23.


Bridging course to prepare refugees for studies from October 2023 at the Studienkolleg of the TU Berlin:

The TU Berlin is offering a language course at the B1+/B2 level for refugees from 4.10.2023 onwards. Prospective refugees who wish to study technical, scientific-mathematical or economic subjects can apply for the course by 20.09.2023 via email ( You can find more information on this website and below under "Files":

Course duration: 04.10.2023 to 25.01.2024

Placement test: 25.09.2023

For registration/application you need:

  • B1 language certificate
  • School leaving certificate
  • Residence permit (refugee status)
  • Desired course of study at the TU Berlin



pdf: Flyer_Geflüchtetenkurse SK 2023_BK.pdf (70.90 KB)