Berlin - and where to find what you need

Berlin is the capital city of Germany and a city that is full of knowledge and culture that can be proud of its number of cultural and educational institutions.

Berlin itself is one of Germany’s 16 federal states, and it is the country’s largest city in terms of area and population, with 3.7 million inhabitants.

With its 42 public and private universities and colleges, a wide range of social events and activities, and low cost of living, it’s no surprise that the city is the home of a large number of young people: over 30 percent of Berlin’s population is aged under 30. And thanks to its central-European location, Berlin is quite multicultural,with over 34% of its population having a migrant background, many coming from Turkey, Eastern Europe, and Russia, as well as Africa and Asia. Inhabitants of Berlin come from over 190 nations. In addition, international students make up almost 16 percent of the students of Berlin’s higher educational institutions.

The website of the DSW generally prepares you for your stay in Germany. They give you important information, such as how to open a bank account or how to find a health insurance.

If you have specific questions regarding admission, course content, course selection or information about your Erasmus program, please contact the International Office of your university or college directly.

As soon as new students have arrived in Berlin, they have to register at a citizens' office within 14 days. This also applies to you as an international student. On the website of the city of Berlin you will find information about all necessary documents and you can make an appointment directly at the citizens office. However, please note that in many citizen's offices it is difficult to make an appointment at short notice.

Depending on your nationality, you may need a visa before you enter Germany, which you have to apply for at the German embassy. Information about student visas can be found on the website of the German Federal Foreign Office. If you are not from an EU or EEA country, you will also need a residence permit. On the website of the “Landesamt für Einwanderung” you will find further information regarding the residence permit for studying. More detailed information about the conditions for a stay in Berlin during your studies can be found here.

If you have arrived in Berlin and are living in a student residence, you are welcome to contact the Residence Tutors, who can help you with organizational questions and translations. Students from China, Africa or an Arabic-speaking country can get help from the International Tutors of the studierendenWERK.

If you are looking for information about Berlin, what the city has to offer and upcoming events, - the city's official website for residents and tourists - is the website to visit.

The public transportation in Berlin is provided by the BVG. The costs for taking the public transport in the tariff area ABC is included in your tuition fees and you can simply use all public transportation in Berlin with your student ID.