Students can apply for a one-time financial aid of 1,000 euros either for the start of their studies (first semester) or at the end of their studies (last 12 months of studies).
This is a grant.
It does not have to be paid back.
Funding is limited. As a rule, 40 applications can be approved in the summer semester and 60 in the winter semester.
You can apply for the winter semester grant from Sept. 15-Oct. 15, and for the summer semester grant from March 15-April 15.
The application period lasts four weeks.
After that, applications can no longer be submitted.
Applications are submitted exclusively via the online portal.
The order of applications does not matter, all applications will be processed.
There is no legal entitlement.
Only students who...
- are enrolled at a cooperating university
- are registered in Germany and
- either you are taking up your studies in Berlin for the first time and are in your first semester,
- or you will be able to complete your studies within the next 12 months and still have open coursework (e.g. internship semester, modules or thesis).
You cannot be sponsored as a guest student, doctoral student, in a semester of leave or in a second degree program.
The application is submitted exclusively online via the barrier-free online platform provided for this purpose.
All documents and declarations are requested via the application portal when the application is submitted.
The application can be paused in between, i.e. you can interrupt the application processing and continue it at a later time.
Identity, eligibility to apply and personal eligibility are checked on the basis of the following documents:
- Identity card or passport/residence permit (visa) in conjunction with confirmation of registration
- Current certificate of enrolment
- Letter of application (description of personal situation and reasons for application, description of motivation for studies/subject and how studies are planned (e.g. duration of studies, date of graduation, planned internships, semester abroad)
- Complete curriculum vitae (like in a job application)
- For students in the final stage of their studies: Information on your progress of studies (please use this form only)
- Details on the use of the grants, i.e. what you want to buy or finance with the grant
- if available: severely disabled person's ID card
- Further proof of the following:
- Complete statement of all income and expenditure
- Complete statement of assets and debts
- Complete bank statements from the previous month for the main account. For example, if you apply in September, you will need the bank statements from August.
At the request of the studierendenWERK, further suitable evidence must be submitted, e.g:
For the verification of social neediness on the basis of social factors and reasons for burden, corresponding information as well as the upload of the relevant supporting documents upon request.
Only applications that have been received in full will be processed.
Please check your application for completeness before submitting it. Missing documents cannot be submitted later and no documents will be requested!
Further information on what you need to consider before submitting your application can be found further down on this page.
Exclusion criteria for funding are e.g.:
- Incomplete documents (see above the list of required documents).
- Formal requirements (see the list of formal requirements above) not met
- Financial need does not exist
- Too high assets
- Debts too high
- Already have an equivalent degree (applies to any university degree, even if the first degree was completed abroad)
- Payment of the grant for the start or completion of studies by studierendenWERK BERLIN already received
- Visa/ID document has expired at the time of application
- Not enrolled for the first time at a Berlin cooperative university when applying for the grant to start studies
Yes, a residence in Germany is required. Only the official registration confirmation serves as proof.
A rental contract or a housing provider certificate is not sufficient.
Registration certificates must be applied for at the citizens' registration office.