Image with question marks

The most important answers regarding the current situation

FAQ as of 19 October 2020

Coronavirus and studierendenWERK's services: FAQ

On this page, we answer the most important questions that students have asked us in the context of the corona situation.

Your questions are not included? Just send it to us by email:




General information

The winter semester 2020/21 will be a hybrid semester of online and face-to-face events. The Senate Chancellery Higher Education and Research has published a step-by-step plan for university operations under pandemic conditions.

At the moment the personal availability is limited. How long this will last, we cannot say at this points.

Students whose residence permit has expired must renew their residence permit online. Here you can find the current FAQs of the Landesamt für Einwanderung (LEA).

The German Red Cross continues to ask healthy people for blood donations. You can find information here.

There are also numerous platforms for arranging neighbourhood assistance for people who find it difficult to do their daily tasks, e.g. this one in Berlin.


Questions about BAföG

This applies to all students who are/have been enrolled for the summer semester 2020!

Your standard period of study and thus the maximum funding period will be increased by one semester.

Basically, the start of the lectures has been postponed, not the start of the semester. If you apply in October, you will receive money for the whole of October – provided that funding is granted.

BAföG recipients still receive their payment when universities are closed. 

Even first-year students whose semester start is delayed due to the pandemic will receive their BAföG as if the classroom lectures had begun at the originally planned time. As soon as online courses are available at educational institutions to maintain teaching, participation in these online courses is obligatory in terms of the funding requirements. More information on this topic can be found here:

Yes, every student who has already received a notification will automatically receive the funding amount stated there just in time at the end of the month for the following month.

This only applies until the end of the approval period. The subsequent application must be made in due time beforehand.

The capacity of the BAföG office is currently limited. Applications are processed gradually. Please refrain from telephone inquiries about the status of your application. 

It's currently not possible to submit your application/documents personally in the BAföG Amt Behrenstraße. We expressly ask you to send your documents to us via the BAföG-Online upload portal or by post. We're currently only able to to process PDF and Word files via email. It is possible to submit your application personally at the InfoPoint Hardenberstraße 34 during opening hours. 

I do not get an appointment for my final exam (e.g. defense of Bachelor thesis) and therefore cannot complete my studies within the maximum funding period.


We recommend that you make a new application and state the reasons for extending the maximum funding period on a special statement. You can find the form here. In most cases, funding can then continue.

CAUTION! Please edit the PDF document after downloading. 

I cannot provide proof of my performance at the end of the 4th semester because exams have been cancelled or postponed.


The reasons must be stated and submitted along with Form 5 with the signature (a scanned signature is sufficient) of the authorised signatory of the university.

It is also possible to submit the ECTS point printout. For this purpose, the relevant specification of the university regarding the standard performance must be available to the BAföG office. In most cases, funding can then continue.

Entitlement to BAföG can be checked. It is necessary to file an application. Check BAföG-Rechner for an estimate of your funding. 

You can only receive a negative certificate if you are basically ("dem Grunde nach") NOT entitled to BAföG, e.g. if you have exceeded the age limit, are studying part-time, may not be eligible as a foreigner, have started further training that is not eligible, or there are no reasons for further funding within the meaning of the law due to a performance deficit.

We will not issue a refusal certificate for the housing allowance office ("Wohngeldamt"), if you, for example, are not entitled to BAföG due to your own assets, income or your parents income.

To check whether we can issue a negative certificate, you need to file an application including the relevant documents using this form (German only). We will gradually process all applications and kindly ask for your patience.

I support the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic and have started working or increased my hours at a hospital or other health or social institution. Do I have to report the income to the BAföG office?


Yes, however, the additional income from work in key worker ("systemrelevant") industries and occupations will not decrease your BAföG for the duration of this activity, if

  • you work to combat the COVID-19 pandemic and its social consequences,
  • you started your work or increased the hours on 1 March or after.

A list of key worker jobs can be found here.

My parent/parents, spouse or registered life partner cannot submit their income documents due to exceptional circumstances (e.g. risk area, ban on contact, quarantine, lack of electronic means of transmission).


We will look at your case individually to find a solution. Please call us or send us an email using the contact form (at the bottom of the page).

My parents / parent are/is strongly affected by the current situation. They currently have no income or their income has significantly decreased. Does this change my entitlement to BAföG?


If you have previously not received BAföG due to your parents' income, you can file an application for the summer semester and explain the current income situation of your parents. The BAföG office will check whether there is a claim.

If you're currently receiving a low BAföG rate due to your parents' income, you can apply for an update and the amount of the current BAföG rate will be checked.

Yes, if the parents continue to be economically productive (see above, otherwise BAföG entitlement). Because even if you do self-study (reading specialist literature, researching and writing homework etc.) or studying online, this counts as a study activity. Also, given the current situation, your parents have to accept delays and interruptions in training that lead to a longer payment period. In the event of delays and interruptions in training, the individual case must be considered, in particular whether there are special reasons for delay that are worthy of recognition.

In the current situation, which is completely unpredictable for everyone, a delay in training, as long as it is based on official measures, is completely without your own fault for the duration of the measures. However, you should use the extended lecture-free time as a time for your self-study and not as a vacation.


Questions about Housing

No, currently not. An official quarantine will be issued by the health department, if it becomes necessary. If you have been in one of the risk areas defined by the Robert Koch Institute in the past few days (read >> here), it is extremely important that you go into self-isolation and inform both the halls of residence administration and the health department (Gesundheitsamt). You can also contact the Corona hotline of the State of Berlin: 030-90282828

To top up the MensaCard, you can use the machines at the foyer of Hardenbergstraße 34. The building can be accessed from Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm.

It is also possible to top at the Mensa food truck. You can find the tour dates here. You can find out here which additional locations are open with the option to top up the MensaCard.

At the HU, the machines located at the libraries are now in operation again, e.g. at library Hegelplatz, Burgstraße, Dorotheenstrasse 65, Campus North, at Erwin-Schroedinger-Zentrum and at Grimm-Zentrum.

We've also compiled a list of other launderettes located near the respective halls of residence.

According to your rental agreement, you are required to pay the rent regularly and on time. We are aware that there may be difficulties in paying rent in the coming months. Please try to cover your account sufficiently so that we can debit the rent. Should you nevertheless have considerable difficulties, please contact us by email ( We can arrange an individual installment payment with you.

Shared apartments (and therefore shared hallways at the halls of residence) are not affected by the contact restriction. This means, you can still go outside together, but a mandatory distance of at least 1,5 metres must be maintained.

In any case, stick to the protective measuresSpend as little time as possible in communal kitchens. Please avoid hand contact, wash your hands often and thoroughly, and avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with your hands. Ventilate your own rooms and common rooms as much as possible 4 times a day for 10 minutes.

If you have any questions or problems, please contact the internet provider directly at 0800 550 555 702. Alternatively, you can also send your request by email to or send a private message on Facebook @cloudcast.hotzone.

I would like to sign my contract, give notice of termination etc., but the residence administration is currently closed. What can I do?

You can reach us from Monday to Thursday, 9 am to 3 pm and Fridays 9 am to 1 pm at 030 93939 8990. You can also send an email to

We always send rental agreements to students by email. Please check your email regularly, including the spam folder. Print out the contract and sign it. We accept the signed and scanned contract in advance via email. We need the original contract at the latest when moving in. Your personal appearance at the residence administration is therefore not necessary.

You have concluded a legally valid rental agreement with studierendenWERK BERLIN, i.e. you are bound to this. When terminating the rental agreement, you must observe the notice period specified in the contract. You are also obliged to pay your rent until the agreement officially ends. When giving us notice, you can request an early release from the rental agreement. We will check whether this is possible in individual cases. Please use the housing portal for handing in your notice of termination.

The placement of a subsequent tenant is not permitted. Also subletting your room without notifying the studierendenWERK is a violation of contract. Please understand, that processing your notice of termination takes a few days. We are working hard to process all requests as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately, this is not possible. You can move out of your place and move back in later, but you will have to pay the rent consistently, even if you're not staying in the room. If you decide to terminate your rental agreement, we are not able to keep the room free. We will check whether it is possible to move back in (or to another halls of residence) at a later date. But we expect a large demand for rooms once the lectures start again. There is no entitlement to re-entry.

Please send us an email to We will check in individual cases whether the termination can be withdrawn. If there's already a new tenant for your room, withdrawal is not possible. In individual cases, we will check whether we can offer temporary accommodation. But there is no entitlement to this.

The rent (basic rent and operating costs) at studierendenWERK's residences is a pure cost rent that must cover all expenses. Utilities are already included in the rent (e.g. electricity, hot water, heating, internet). The rental price for rooms at our halls of residences is significantly lower than prices of the private housing market. As a public sector institution, we are obliged to work to cover costs. It is therefore not possible to waive the rents.

My rental agreement ends soon, but due to the current situation, I urgently need an extension. What can I do?

In this case, send us an email to, stating your halls of residence and your room number. We will check in individual cases whether we can extend the contract. However, this is not possible if there's already a new tenant for your room. In this case, we will consider the possibility of moving. However, there is no entitlement to an extension or a new room.

Yes, moving in and moving out are currently possible. Please make sure to observe als hygiene measures.

Due to the current situation, we're trying to avoid personal contact. This is why it is possible, for example, that you leave the key in your room or in the mailbox when moving out. In either case (moving in OR out), please contact your caretaker by phone or email to discuss the handover. They will inform you about the process. Please note that you must move out by the date specified in the agreement.


Questions regarding psychological-psychotherapeutic counselling

Soon confidential appointments can be made by telephone via our secretariat on Monday to Thursday from 9 am to 15 pm and on Friday 9 am to 13 pm:

Location Charlottenburg, Hardenbergstraße 35
+49 (0)30 93939 8401

Location Friedrichshain, Franz-Mehring-Platz 2-3
+49 (0)30 93939 8438

Or via email at:

Noticed: Do not enter the counselling centre with cold symptoms.

From 1.7.20 we offer again appointments for pregnancy conflict counselling according to §219. The Psychological-Psychotherapeutic Counseling Center of studierenWERK BERLIN is a recognized office with several specially trained counselors.

The counselling interview is free of charge and confidential. A visit to the doctor to establish pregnancy is not a necessary condition for a counselling appointment. If you wish, you can bring your partner or other persons to the consultation. Several appointments are also possible.

When making an appointment, please point out that you would like a pregnancy conflict counselling.


Questions regarding study financing

Students in need can apply for an interest-free loan from the Credit Institute for Reconstruction (KfW). Application is possible from 8 May. The KfW student loan will be granted interest-free for all applicants from May 2020 to 31 March, 2021. The interest-free loan can be granted up to 650 euro a month and applied for online. The student loan is also open to foreign students from July 2020 to March 2021. They can also take advantage of this interim aid in the form of the interest-free loan in the initial phase.

*Please note that from 1 April 2021 the regular interest rate will apply again (currently: 4.36 % annual percentage rate, as of April 2020). More information can be found here.

For further information, please contact the social counselling service.

I have lost my job / I am facing a loss of earnings and urgently need financial help.

You may be entitled to continued wages. The DGB Jugend has put together the relevant labor law explanations.

Students at the Freie Universität who have run into financial difficulties due to the coronavirus crisis can apply for support from the SoliFUnd. You can find further information and the application form here:

Federal aid for students in need – Start of application 16 June 2020
The Federal Ministry of Education (BMBF) provides financial support for students in need, The distributuion will be handled by our umbrella organisation, DSW. 

The Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) offers financial aid for the months of June, July and August for students in acute emergencies who have lost their income due to the pandemic. If you have any questions about this fund, please inform yourself here or contact the BMBF hotline at 0800 26 23 003 or via email:

The possibillities depend on various factors, such as age, nationality and semester.

Some students may have the opportunity to apply for BAföG.

Students with a visa for study purposes according to § 16.1 AufenthG cannot claim state benefits. You should seek advice on whether you are entitled to continued wages from your employer. In addition, you should look into the industries in which the job opportunities are currently good.

For further information, please contact the social counselling service.

Applications for KfW student loans can also be submitted to studierenWERK BERLIN.
The KfW advisory service is located at Hardenbergstraße 34, administrative building ground floor.
From 01 September 2020, we will again offer personal appointments for the submission of applications.

For fürther information please see >>here

For further information, please contact the social counselling service.

Obtain various offers and compare them carefully. Pay attention to the requirements for a student loan from the respective providers, the processing fees, the interest rate and repayment modalities. You should also be well informed about any additional costs that may arise.

For further information, please contact the social counselling service.

The Jobcenters are currently set to emergency operation. People already receiving benefits should use the eService. The Jobcenters have installed extra phone numbers for initial applications. You can find the respectice number for your Jobcenter here. Agentur für Arbeit has also compiled FAQs regarding the services of the Jobcenter.

For further information, please contact the social counselling service.

The eligibility requirements for housing benefit remain the same. Those who currently have no income due to job loss or lack of wages are not automatically entitled to Wohngeld. The basic requirement of a BAföG rejection ("dem Grunde nach") and the examination of the coverage of the monthly living expenses remain.

For further information, please contact the social counselling service.

No, you are not currently entitled to ALG II benefits. Full-time students are generally excluded from benefits under SGB II.

There are a few exeptional cases, e.g.:

  • You're taking a semester of vacation due to pregnancy/child rearing or leave of absence due to your own illness or impairment. It is important that no study activities are carried out during the leave of absence, otherwise, ALG II benefits are at risk and can be reclaimed. In addition, other requirements must be met. To find out if you are entitled to ALG II benefits, call studierendenWERK's social counselling service.
  • You're studying part-time due to pregnancy/child rearing or leave of absence due to your own illness or impairment. However, there are a few things to consider and certain requirements must be met. Get advice from the social counselling service.
  • In cases of hardship, e.g. if funding is lost without one's fault and your studies are well advanced, the Jobcenter can check whether you're entitled to benefits as a loan in accordance with § 27 section 3 SGB I.
  • Claims for additional benefits for certain beneficiaries accoring to § 21 SGB II.

What can I do if I am currently unable to pay my health insurance, rent, mobile phone bill etc. due to a lack of wage payments / jobs?

Take initiative and get in touch with, for example, your health insurance company, landlord, mobile service provider etc., should you be unable to make payments at the moment. Ask them for a defferal or a dunning block. You could also ask, if a reduced down payment is possible.

The "Law to Mitigate the Consequences of the COVID-19 Pandemic in Civil, Bankruptcy and Criminal Procedure Law" was passed on 25 March, 2020. Accordingly, tenants who, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, were unable to pay their rent in the period from 1 April to 30 June, 2020, or were unable to pay it in full, are protected from termination. The connection between the inability to make payments and the COVID-19 pandemic must be credible. However, this does not mean that you're not obliged to pay rent; the costs must then be paid later. The new regulation only applies to rent debts that arise from 1 April, 2020. A notice of termination already given before that date remains effective. Terminations for other reasons also remain possible.

The same applies to the electricity, gas and telecommunications supply. If the contract was concluded before 8 March, 2020, it should not be blocked until 30 June, 2020. However, the unpaid costs have to be paid later.

In addtion to my studies, I work self-employed / freelance and have lost my commissions or cannot carry out my work due to official regulations. Can I claim compensation under the Infection Protection Act (IfSG)?

The Berlin Senate has approved grants for solo self-employed persons and small businesses. You can find more information here.

The Infection Protection Act (IfSG) enables very drastic measures to contain the spread of infectious diseases and to facilitate their treatment. This includes, for example, the prohibition of activities or quarantine measures. Specific official prohibitions on activities or officially ordered quarantine measures against a person who in individual cases poses a risk of infection can lead to a claim for compensation under the IfSG.

Attention: Voluntary quarantine, for example, does NOT trigger compensation claims. According to § 56 section 2 IfSG, compensation is based on the loss of earnings. For the first six weeks, it is granted in the amount of the loss of earnings. From the beginning of the seventh week onwards, the amount of sickness benefit is granted in accordance with § 47 section 1 of the Fifth Book of the Social Code, provided that the loss of earnings does not exceed the annual wage limit applicable to statutory health insurance.

In the case of the self-employed, the compensation amounts to 1/12 of the monthly earned net income (average of the last year before stopping the prohibited activity). Self-employed persons who are exposed to a threat to their livelihood as a result of a measure in accordance with the IfSG can be reimbursed to an appropriate extent by the competent authority for any additional expenses incurred during the lost earnings periods. Should the business have to close, additional compensation will be provided for the duration of the measure according to the IfSG for the operating expenses that are not covered during this period to an appropriate extent.

Applications must be submitted to the relevant authority within three months of the discontinuation of the prohibited activity or the end of the quarantine.

You can find up-to-date information on student jobs and self-employment on the website of students@work.

Students at the Freie Universität who are facing financial difficulties due to the coronavirus crisis can apply for support from the SoliFUnd. You can find further information and the application form here:

The grant procedure is currently being changed. In future, it will only be possible to submit applications digitally. The procedure will probably be completed by mid-November. Until then, you cannot apply for a grant. Please check the website regularly, where the new procedure will be published.


Questions regarding student jobs

As an employee, you have protection against dismissal. It has to be sorted out whether the employer still has to pay you. To find out about your rights, you can, for example, contact the company's work committee (Betriebsrat).

You may be entitled to continued wages. DBG Jugend has put together some relevant information regarding employment law.

If you are in need of advice from a lawyer

DGB Jugend has put together a comprehensive overview of employment law issues. Some universities also offer legal advice from lawyers, such as the AStA of the TU (see point 2). Also, the counselling service students@work is still available by phone and email. The Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs is also active in the field of labour law. You can reach them by phone at (030) 221 911 004, more information can be found here. International students can get advice from the Senate of Berlin by phone or email, or (in different languages) from BEMA.

If you are searching for a new student job:

Many companies are urgently looking to employ temporary workers. These include, for example, sumermarkets, pick-up and delivery services, harvest hands, beverage stores, pharmacies, medical supply stores, chemist's shops, post offices, hospitals, call centers, babysitting. Check out for job opportunities.

Harvest hands for the current season

The agricultural sector lacks 300,000 workers who normally enter from other countries. Students can register on the platform Clever Ackern or das Land hilft and help with the harvest.

May I work more than 20 hours per week, just like in the lecture-free period, since the start of the lectures has been postponed?

This is particularly relevant with regard to health insurance. You need to check with your health insurance company to clarify this matter. Let them know for how long you're planning to work, what wages you will earn and what hours you will work and ask them if there's anything in the way.

You can find more information on this topic on the website of the DGB Jugend (students@work).

In any case, you must inform your employer. If you have a sick note or received an official order for quarantine from the Health Department (Gesundheitsamt), your employer must continue to pay wages for up to six weeks.


Questions regarding the writing centre

We currently offer consultations by phone or video with Cisco Webex. Simply write us an email with your request and leave a telephone number as well as the appropriate days and times when you can be reached to:

You can also use the contact form on our website.

You can still receive text feedback from us. Send us a selection of a maximum of 5 pages of your work as usual. You will then receive a questionnaire from us about what we should pay particular attention to in our feedback. We can then discuss the feedback in a telephone consultation. Send us an email to

Either you check our website regularly or you subscribe to our newsletter, where we inform you monthly about all current events around the writing centre. Simply send us an email to:

Yes, we regularly offer online workshops on various topics related to academic writing.

In addition, with our online writing time, we offer the opportunity for digital joint writing and focused work on your current writing project.

You can find all the dates for the online events here. The registration takes place online.




Questions regarding the counselling service for barrier-free studies

You can reach the counselling centres by phone during the usual office hours from 10 am to 1 pm and via email at all times.

  • Mondays, Dahlem: 030 93939-9020 (FU and EHB students)
  • Tuesdays, Charlottenburg: 030 93939-8416 (TU, UdK, PFH, HDPK, Hertie School, IPU students)         
  • Wednesdays, Friedrichshain: 030 93939-8442 /-8442 (ASH, Beuth HS, Charité, HTW, HfM, HfS, KHB, KHSB, HWR, HU, HSAP, IUBH students) 

On request, we also offer personal consultations by appointment. Please observe the applicable distance and hygiene rules. Do not enter the counselling centre with cold symptoms.

Yes, applications for integration aids will continue to be processed. We currently accept all relevant documents being sent via email.

Yes, invoices can be sent and will be processed.

Deaf students and students with hearing impairments can contact us by email. We can arrange personal consultations on request. If you have any questions about interpreting, our sign language interpreting coordinators also offer video advice in German sign language.


Questions regarding the daycare centres

The regular operation of all seven daycare centres takes place under the continued conditions of the coronavirus pandemic (stable groups, hygiene regulations, dealing with the so-called risk groups and the associated shortage of staff to be expected, etc.). For this reason, measures have been adopted that make it possible to offer regular operations for all children with care up to the full day (7 to 9 hours).

Opening hours: In order to maintain operation, all daycare centres have temporarily limited their opening times to 9 hours a day.

Kita an der Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht

Mon – Fri  7:30 am – 4:30 pm

Kita an der Technischen Universität

Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri 8 am  –  5 pm and
Thu 7:30 am – 4:30 pm

Kita an der Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft

Mon – Fri 8 am – 5 pm

Kita an der Freien Universität

Mon – Fri  7:30 am – 4:30 pm

Kita an der Universität der Künste

Mon – Fri 8 am – 5 pm

Kita an der Beuth Hochschule für Technik

Mon – Fri  7:30 am – 4:30 pm

Kita an der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin

Mon – Fri  7:30 am – 4:30 pm

As soon as possible, we will return to the previous opening times.


Handling of extended all-day vouchers

We ask for your understanding that we are currently unable to offer extended daycare. We are happy to offer all parents with full-day extended childcare vouchers the option of changing these vouchers to a full-day.


Familiarization of children

Each daycare center has developed a familiarization concept that takes the conditions of the coronavirus pandemic into account.


Only healthy children are allowed in the daycare centres!

Since 22 June, regular operations have been resumed in all daycare centres under the conditions of the coronavirus pandemic*.

Parents and staff must be vigilant

If the child shows one of the following symptoms

  • respiratory disease, e.g. fever, cough, shortness of breath, runny nose,
  • fatigue / tiredness,
  • headche and body aches,
  • sore throat,
  • sense of smell and taste disorders,

The daycare team reserves the right not to look after the child.

In the interest of everyone, we therefore ask you not to bring your acutely ill child into daycare.

If necessary, consult your family doctor or pediatrician.

You can also find information on dealing with respiratory diseases in this overview from the Berlin Senate Administration.

For care after a proven SARS-CoV-2 infection of the child, a medical confirmation is essential, so that the risk of infection can be eliminated.

A child is only allowed in the daycare centre, if

  • in case of a positive coronavirus test and subsequent quarantine, they do not show symptoms of illness after further 48 hours (except for proven chronic deseases, e.g. hay fever)
  • they are not in contact to people who are infected or have passed 14 days since contact with infected people and shows no symptoms of Covid-19

All currently applicable regulations in connection with SARS-CoV-2

*stable groups, hygiene regulations, dealing with so-called risk groups and the associated lack of staff, etc.

Children with a specific pre-existing condition can belong to the risk group, which makes a consultation with a pediatrician necessary.

Parents whose children belong to a risk group have to

  • consult their pediatrician about protective measures,
  • present a corresponding certificate from the doctor with the recommendations for the daycare centre an
  • discuss the possibility of implementing the recommendations with the daycare centre.

We kindly ask for your understanding that care can only be accessed if the daycare centre is able to implement the recommended measures.

Current information on parents from the Senate Administration (as of July 17, 2020) can be found here as well as a handout from the health department of the Steglitz-Zehlendorf district here.

If people entering and returning from abroad enter the State of Berlin and have been in a designated risk area within 14 days of entry, there are quarantine and reporting requirements in accordance with the current SARS-CoV-2 Infection Protection Ordinance.

List of current risk areas

The daycare centers want to ensure safe care for all children and families. Parents of returning children from risk areas are therefore required to certify the quarantine and the health of the child or present a negative laboratory result at the beginning of a new care period.

According to the ordinance, excemptions to quarantine at home apply to people who do not show any defined COVID-19 symptoms and who can present a medical certificate and a current laboratory report in German or English, which confirms that there are no indications of an infection with the coronavirus.

Further conditions that can lead to the excemption of domestic quarantine can be found here.


Information about quarantine

Since the results from the laboratory take several days, there is usually an obligation to quarantine, this means

  • to go directly to one’s home or accommodation
  • to stay there for a period of 14 days after entering the country
  • During this period it is not permitted to receive visits from people who do not belong to your own household.

These regulations also apply to persons who first entered another Federal State of Germany.

Further information and tips on how to deal with contact restrictions or a possible quarantine can be found here (from the psychologists of studierendenWERK BERLIN).

Are parents obliged to provide information?

We want to ensure the best possible protection against infection by Covid-19 in our daycare centers. Therefore, when the care period for each child starts again, the staff will interview the parents in order to obtain information on cases of illness in the family. However, these are only a snapshot. All parents are obliged to notify the daycare management immediately, if in the meantimet

  • there has been contact with persons infected by Covid-19
  • people around the child had acute symptoms of the upper respiratory tract

Our questionnaire is available here.

If a SARS-CoV-2 infection is suspected in a child due to flu-like symptoms, the daycare team will act early on

  • take a contactless fever measurement,
  • seperate the child from other children,
  • ask a custodian to collect the child as soon as possible.

The management of the daycare centre is obliged to report the justified suspicion of coronavirus and the personal data (surname, first name, date of birth, gender, address) to the health authority immediately (according to § 8 IfSG), unless a doctor has already been consulted.

Well-founded suspicious case are people with symptoms of Covid-19 who have had contact with a confirmed case.

Accordingly, a notification to the health authority only has to be made if the suspicion is both supported

  • by the clinical presentation and
  • a likely epidemiological link

We therefore ask for early notification should such a situation arise!

The recommendations published by the Robert Koch Institute are taken into account or is consulted for the assessment.


In confirmed cases of coronavirus, the daycare management has to immediately inform

  • the respective health authority (Gesundheitsamt), except when a doctor has already been contacted
  • the head of studierendenWERK’s daycare centres.


The following measures must also be guaranteed by the daycare management:

  • Forwarding of data to identify chains of infection on request of the health department (Gesundheitsamt)


  • Prohibition of access to care for all family members (e.g. siblings) during the incubation period (14 days)
  • Notice for parents to announce that a case of coronavirus infection has occurred (including the date of illness, approximate incubation period, number of persons affected, without mentioning the name)