Information about the current situation
Notes in the context of the coronavirus (as of 22 April 2020)
as a precautionary measure, we are cancelling all events until 20 April to protect against infection.
For the moment, there will also be no more personal consultation and consultation time. However, we are available by phone and e-mail. This applies, for example, to our BAföG office, all counselling services (psychological-psychotherapeutic, financial, etc.), facility managers/tutors in the halls of residence, information centres, etc.
ATTENTION! In accordance with the regulation passed by the State of Berlin to contain the coronavirus in Berlin (Verordnung zur Eindämmung des Coronavirus in Berlin), all daycare centres and student canteens are closed from Tuesday, 17 March 2020.
The general measures to contain the coronavirus were extended on 2 April. You can read the new directive here.
A catalogue of fines (only in German) was also adopted, which lists the penalties for violating the regulation.
Information for returnees: Anyone who has been in one of the international risk areas in the last 14 days is required to maintain a 14-day self quarantine. It is essential that you call the Health Department or the Corona Hotline (030-90282828) beforehand and discuss how to proceed.
We expressly ask everyone to continue to adhere to the recommended protective measures.
Emergency operations at studierendenWERK
Immediate measures for all Berlin universities
Updated measures for Berlin's scientific community as of 21 April
Public, private and denominational universities continue to be closed for classroom teaching and public business. This also applies to non-university research institutions in the State of Berlin. The dining facilities of studierendenWERK BERLIN remain closed.
Given the guarantee of suitable precautions for hygiene, including increased cleaning and disinfection measures, to control access and to avoid the accumulation of people, and to ensure the minimum distance of 1.5 metres from other people, the following exemptions are possible:
- From 27 April 2020, lending operations can be resumed in the academic libraries and archives of universities and research institutions. The universities will announce the specific start of the book lending operation once the implementation of the corresponding protective measures has been secured.
- Mandatory presence tests, including entrance and language tests, can be carried out. In these cases, as previously agreed, universities ensure that examination dates are announced and held appropriately in advance. Students can refrain from taking an exam in justified cases.
- Mandatory practice formats that require special laboratory or work rooms at universities can be carried out in justified cases. The universities will announce in advance which practical events are concerned.
- The outdoor facilities of the botanical garden can be opened from 27 April 2020.
Measures for Berlin's scientific community as of 13 March
The following measures were agreed upon for the eleven state universities in the state, Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin and the non-university research institutions in Berlin.
- All attendance courses will be discontinued. It is to be ensured that online formats and other creative possibilities are created in order to maintain teaching activities to the extent necessary, provided that this is consistent with the other measures.
- IIn order to guarantee examination dates in justified individual cases, the recommendations of Charité - Universitätsmedizin for the conduct of examinations in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic are to be observed by the respective institution on its own responsibility.
- The libraries completely stop public access (guests or students). A possible online service must be offered. Loan periods are suspended. Reminder fees may not be charged during this period. The student restaurants and museums of the scientific institutions will be closed, university sports will be discontinued. The interior areas of the Botanical Garden will be closed, the park will remain open.
- Administrative operations will continue for the time being. However, it is to be run by opportunities such as home office, teleworking or other measures are used to the necessary extent, also beyond existing service agreements. Furthermore, immediate precautions must be taken to maintain a minimum level of operation at all facilities. Work in open-plan offices is to be avoided. Research operations may be continued in accordance with the measures ordered and recommended here in justified individual cases, at the discretion of the respective institution.
- Addressed institutions are required to refrain from approving all business trips, regardless of their cause or destination, in Germany or abroad, and to withdraw any approvals. The same applies to stays abroad for study purposes and research purposes that have not yet commenced within the framework of the programmes of the respective universities.
Measures for Berlin's scientific community as of 12 March
- The immediate cancellation of all conferences, conventions and other events during the current lecture-free period as well as for the lecture period of summer semester 2020 (until 20.07.2020). This also applies to events organized by third parties.
- The immediate cancellation of all courses requiring physical attendance being held in the current lecture-free period. Each university will examine the possibility of providing these as online Courses.
- The universities are required to evaluate on the basis of the guidelines provided by the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) whether examinations scheduled for the period up until 20.07.20 can be conducted. Agreement concerning the conducting of state examinations is to be taken in conjunction with the relevant Berlin Senate Departments, namely those for Justice, Health, and Education. Ongoing and scheduled internships which are components of degree programs are to be conducted in accordance with the requirements of the institutions or organizations where the internships are taking place.
- The start of the summer semester lecture period for universities is to be postponed until 20.04.2020. The universities are to prepare measures to deal with any necessary postponements of classes and examinations or shortening of semesters (such as providing block seminars or online formats).
- Other functions such as research operations, administration and libraries are to be maintained for the time being. Regarding libraries, TU Berlin is implementing another Concept.
- All students, researchers and staff of academic institutions returning from regions designated as risk areas by the RKI are required to self-impose a 14-day quarantine.
- Official trips as well as study and research stays in regions designated as risk areas by the RKI are not being approved.
- The universities and research institutions are required to communicate applicable measures to their members and to adjust these measures on an ongoing basis to reflect changes to the situation. If they have not already done so, the universities and research institutions are to adjust their procedures for dealing with pandemics.