How to succeed at job interviews in Germany (2-day)
Interactive Workshop for International Students
In this active workshop, you will learn about job interviews in Germany.
We’ll explore the interview process from start to finish, and discover what German employers expect from great candidates.
Through peer-coaching activities, group exercises, and individual reflections, you will create a profile for the interview, develop a toolkit for effective self-marketing for the German job market, practice typical interview questions, and get feedback on your interview skills.
You will learn to present your accomplishments, skills, and knowledge with confidence.
This workshop will take place online and is designed to be interactive. You should be prepared to participate fully in the workshop.
Job Interviews in Germany
• What might a typical job interview process in Germany look like?
• What do I need to know about employers in Germany and the German job market? How might employers' expectations be shaped by German cultural values?
• How might the interview and expectations differ from my previous experience?
• What do I need to know about formal expectations, structures, and (un)spoken rules?
Preparing for the job Interview: self-marketing
• How can I best present my skills, abilities, knowledge and experience? Why does it help me to create a very clear profile? What tools can I use to help develop a strong profile?
• What do I need to know about self-marketing in Germany? How might the strategies I’m already familiar with be interpreted by potential employers in Germany?
• How can I present myself confidently without coming across as overconfident or self-important?
Questions, Answers, and Self-Presentation
• What does an effective self-introduction look like?
• What questions might arise and how do I prepare for them? How can I use interview questions as an opportunity to present my profile and highlight my skills?
• What strategies might I use to get through the interview well? What do I do if things don't go so well?
• What role do my language skills play? How do I deal with potential challenges (e.g., language-based misunderstandings)?
• What do I need to know about virtual job interviews? How can I be sure to make a good impression?
Language: English or German (bilingual exercise materials).
Direction: Amanda Wichert - Intercultural Trainer, Career Coach (specializing in international employees in the German job market)
The workshop will be conducted digitally with Cisco WebEx. Shortly before the date you will receive an e-mail with the access data.
The registration will be online. The registration period starts three weeks before the training date.