Talking about a specific text excerpt of your term paper or thesis can be very helpful.
If you would like feedback on a text excerpt (max. 5 pages), send us the text in the attachment (as a doc file, font size 12 pt, line spacing 1.5, page margin 2 cm) as well as the Text Feedback questionnaire to email@example.com.
In the context of a text feedback you will receive:
- a sympathetic and honest feedback from a didactic writing point of view,
- hints on what already works well in your text(excerpt),
- feedback on what is currently unclear in your reading,
- our written comments via email,
- the possibility to make an appointment for discussion.
A writing consultation before text feedback can be especially useful if you have not had a consultation with us before.
We support your self-organized writing group.
Writing in a group is motivating - even online, because studying can be very lonely, especially in times of home offices and online lectures.
Writing in a writing group brings social exchange back into the writing process and helps with structure and practical writing impulses. The good thing is that a writing group can be organized by yourself with little effort. The Writing Center of the TU Dresden has created a starter kit for learning and writing groups.
You are welcome to try out writing in a group at one of our weekly online writing times.
There you are sure to find other students who are interested in a self-organized writing group.
Are you already organized in a writing group that is still looking for members? We'd be happy to pass along your contact to anyone interested.
If you would like to start a writing group and still need tips on organization and procedure, or if you have questions within a group, it is also possible to get a consultation appointment with us via our contact form or at firstname.lastname@example.org as a group.
Are you struggling to find regular times for working on your thesis?
Do you tend to feel isolated while writing?
Would you like to profit from a motivating atmosphere, informative inputs, and a safe space for exchanging with other students in the final stages of their degree?
Then you should consider applying for our Thesis Writing Group!
What you can expect:
Throughout August 2022, we will meet for a total of nine appointments on Tuesdays and Fridays.
Our first, intermediate and last meeting will be held at the studierendenWERK BERLIN (Hardenbergstr. 34, near S+U Zoologischer Garten).
The other meetings will take place digitally via Webex video-conference. Each appointment consists of
- exchange with other participants about current struggles and success stories,
- brainstorming about experiences and ideas for the 'topic of the day',
- a short input on useful writing strategies for various challenges within the writing process (the respective 'topic of the day'), such as tipps on time-/project management, starting to write etc., and
- time for working on your thesis individually. A brief writing consultation can also be requested with the group leader during this time.
After our live appointments, it is possible to eat lunch together in the canteen (pay for your own food or bring your own). When the weather is nice, we can also sit outside.
Tue., 2nd Aug. 2022 | 10 am – 1:30 pm (Hardenbergstr. 34)
Fr., 5th Aug. 2022 | 10 am – 1:30 pm (online)
Tue, 9th Aug. 2022 | 10 am – 1:30 pm (online)
Fr., 12th Aug. 2022 | 10 am – 1:30 pm (online)
Tue., 16th Aug. 2022 | 10 am – 1:30 pm (Hardenbergstr. 34)
Fr., 19th Aug. 2022 | 10 am – 1:30 pm (online)
Tue., 23rd Aug. 2022 | 10 am – 1:30 pm (online)
Fr., 26th Aug. 2022 | 10 am – 1:30 pm (online)
Tue., 30th Aug. 2022 | 10 am – 1:30 pm (Hardenbergstr. 34)
Please note that it is not necessary to finish your thesis by the last meeting.
Rather, we would simply like to give you a productive framework and a friendly atmosphere for working on your thesis - without pressure to deliver or complete a certain amount of pages or steps by a certain date.
- We welcome students with either Bachelor or Master theses from any disciplinary background, as long as the language of the thesis is English.
- Participation is only possible if you can attend all nine meetings.
- Before admitting participants to the writing group, we will conduct a short telephone call.
This is not a test - you will not have to provide us with grades or any specific prior knowledge of academic writing.
Instead, we would like to get to know your writing situation and your expectations of the writing group, clarify whether the concept resonates with your time plan, and give you the opportunity to answer any questions you may have about the format.
To apply, send us an e-mail with the following information:
- your full name,
- yourtelephone number,
- your university,
- your thesis type (Bachelor/Master),
- the name of your degree course,
- your research question (designating which specific aspect of your topic you will be examining in your thesis), and
- the intended date of completion.
The application deadline is Tuesday 5th July, 12 p.m.
We will then contact you with more information and a selection of dates for the telephone call.
Please note that only complete applications can be considered and that the group capacity is limited to 10 participants.