...also thought about the broadcasting fee?

The broadcasting fee also applies to residents in the student halls of residence - but be careful!

What and what is the contribution for?
The broadcasting fee secures the financing of public broadcasting (ARD, ZDF, Deutschlandradio).
It applies to conventional broadcast receivers (radio and television) and also Internet-enabled computers.

Who has to pay the contribution?
People who are of legal age and have their own apartment pay the monthly broadcasting fee of 18,36 euros. What is new since the reform in 2013 is that
the contributions no longer have to be paid per device, but rather as a flat rate per household or apartment.

  • Rooms: Rooms that lead off a generally accessible hallway, even without a kitchen and private bathroom, count as an apartment. Tenants of such rooms must pay the fee.
  • Apartment: Apartments are small apartments with their own kitchenette and bathroom. Apartment tenants must pay the contribution.
  • Shared apartment: Several rooms in a self-contained apartment with shared kitchen and bathroom use are referred to as shared apartments (shared apartments).
  • The contribution only has to be paid once for a shared apartment. This means that a tenant takes over the registration and full payment. He is responsible for dividing the amount between the tenants. If other tenants in the shared apartment are asked to pay the broadcasting fee, they do not have to register additionally.

foreign students
Foreign students have to pay the fee, even if they only earn a little. For them - as for all other students - they can only be exempted under certain conditions.

Exemption from the fee:
An exemption from the broadcasting fee is possible if students BAföG or receive ALG II and do not live with their parents. This exemption also applies to spouses or registered partners, but not to other people living in the household, e.g. B. roommates.

Get a discount:

  • Students with severe visual or hearing impairments marked “RF”
  • Students with a GdB of at least 80 and the mark RF

The following are exempt, among others:

  • Students who receive assistance for the blind
  • Students who receive state nursing allowance
  • Students who receive care assistance
  • deafblind students

The modalities for discounts and exemptions can be found at https://www.rundfunkbeitrag.de/buergerinnen_und_buerger/informationen/menschen_mit_behinderung/index_ger.html and here https://www.rundfunkbeitrag.de/buergerinnen_und_buerger/informationen/empfaenger_von_sozialleistungen/index_ger.html

Low income has no influence on the exemption; the decisive factor is the receipt of social benefits.

Further information: